Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Red Velvet Puppy Chow

Okay so for our very first Pinterest Creation, we opted to do something that's traditional. Growing up I can remember, several times throughout winter, making puppy chow with my mother and younger brother. Well, to put a spin on this, we decided to use a recipe that I found on Pinterest the other day. I, of course, was drawn to this recipe as red velvet holds a dear place in my heart. My great grandmother used to make the most incredible red velvet cake. No one, including my measly attempts, has been able to replicate it.

So this is our marvelous red velvet puppy chow, thanks to Pinterest, specifically unBearablyGood. I must include that this is a new favorite of mine and now a "go-to" dessert for me.

1 cup Cream Cheese Frosting  (we used this instead of white chocolate chips--it gives it a  
                                                   little bit more creaminess)
2 Tbsp Cream Cheese
2 Tbsp Milk
5 Cups Rice Chex
1 Cup Red Velvet Cake Mix
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar


1. In a bowl, dump in cream cheese frosting and regular cream cheese (the fat free version didn't affect the taste in my opinion). Heat it however you prefer. We simply warmed it in the microwave (we were a bit too excited to eat it to wait for the stove to heat up).

2. Next add the milk. I'm sure it'd be okay if you added the milk in the first stage; however, we didn't want the milk to cure or boil as the other ingrediants melted. We did heat the milk a little bit, just so that it mixed with the frosting and cream cheese.

3. Pour in the 5 cups of rice chex and stir so that all the rice chex is coated with the previous concoction.


4. In a bag (we opted to use a generic grocery bad; and yes bags do work the best!), mix together the powdered sugar and red velvet cake mix.

5. And let the fun begin! Dump in the rice chex soupy, gooey, yummy mix into the bag with the powdered mixture and shake until your little heart feels content; but reallly, shake alot. It stays gooey for awhile so I would use more powdered sugar and cake mix. We probably doubled what the recipe says.

6. Enjoy!

Also, the coloring of this puppy chow is so gorgeous. It's a different look to the normal puppy chow. Possibly a dessert for Valentine's Day? Or even a bachelorette party?

Excuse the poor quality. Only my cellular was available.

No comments:

Post a Comment